Friday, June 13, 2014

My South Beach Diet Journey - Phase 1 Day 5

Results Are In

Sound the trumpets! Ring the alarms! I have successfully completed 5 full days of South Beach, and I have some really exciting news.  **drumroll please** I have lost 5 lbs in 5 days! ::gasp::  ::faint::  I have never lost that much in less than a week.  And I don't feel like I'm starving myself. After the first day of my body being shocked from the new eating pattern, I got used to it.

What I've Learned

I think the most important thing with this diet (and any other diet to be honest) is planning.  The day before I started, I planned out meal plans for the full week - including snacks.  I then went to the grocery store and got everything all at once.  Once I planned ahead, I always had something to eat.  I eat every 2 hours! I just make sure to follow the guideliness of what foods are allowed, and I continue to count calories as well. 

I have to be honest, I haven't been perfect. One day during the week, at an office party, I indulged in a glass of ginger ale.  I also allow myself to sometimes eat lowfat popcorn, which I believe I shouldnt be having until phase 2.  But the most important thing is that 90% of my eating is exactly where it should be, so the other 10% does not have much of an effect on my results.

The 2nd most important thing with this diet is portion control.  When I first did South Beach many years ago, I didn't count calories.  I just thought, as long as I stay away from bad carbs I'll lose weight.   I would eat 2 steaks, or have 2 eggs and 3 sausage links and bacon... um.. NO.  While they do have a low amount of carbs, they're high in calories, fat, sodium, and cholesterol.  So this time around, not only did I avoid bad carbs, I also counted calories and measured everything.  I know this may seem daunting but if you want results, you have to sacrifice.  For example, I will only have 39 pieces of dry roasted peanuts because that is exactly the 1 ounce serving. 

Improvements Needed

1) Exercise: I have not exercised at all.  Even though I'm not as hungry, and cravings have reduced, I don't have as much energy as I normally have when I have more carbs in my system.  I think I will save the Exercise regime for phase 2. 

2) Water Intake: I only have approximately 4 glasses of water per day.  I know that I should be having 8-10 glasses, but I don't seem to remember drinking unless I'm eating.  I think I will add water by drinking one glass automatically upon waking, and one glass right before bed.

Here is today's meal plan!

Phase 1 Day 5


Boiled Egg

1 TBS mayo

1/2 cup stewed codfish

Midmorning Snack

1 serving SMARTFOOD popcorn

1 ounce pepperjack cheese


sliced sweet italian sausage on a bed of lettuce w/ chopped onions and shredded cheddar cheese

Midafternoon snack

39 pieces dry roasted peanuts


Shrimp and Broccoli in garlic Sauce


Sugar Free Jello

No comments:

Post a Comment