Wednesday, June 24, 2009

First Doctor Visit - What a Rush!

Today was my first prenatal doctor visit and I was sooo excited... and nervous! I woke up with some morning sickness which was not cool. But on top of that I had butterflies in my stomach like I was going on a first date or something! That did not go well with the morning sickness... ugh.

Needless to say, I got to the office at like 10:15am, and waited an hour before they even called me in. You'd think they'd have some sort of express line for pregnant women who need to pee like a race horse! On top of that, I had to hold my tinkle because they wanted me to pee in a cup. Gee wiz! So after an hour, I finally was allowed to pee and I nearly bum-rushed the nurse to get the mini cup to relieve myself. On a side note, what's up with those mini cups anyway? Apparently I'm supposed to squat (since I don't EVER sit on public toilets) balance myself with one hand, and hold the mini cup in the other all the while praying that I don't miss the target... What the!

So they did the urine test and immediately it came up positive. I got tons of congratulations from the nurses which was pretty cool, then I had to answer tons of questions about me and my husband's medical history. After we got through all the boring stuff, I was able to go in to see the doctor and get a vaginal exam (ouch!) She said that I'm actually farther along than I thought. I'm 5 weeks and 6 days! She scheduled me for my first ultrasound in three weeks. They also took blood to check my pregnancy hormone levels, but the doctor said that she won't be calling me if everything is normal. Well thanks a lot Doc! Now every time a telemarketer calls the house I'm going to start crying and beating my chest!

Anyway, after my visit I called my husband and told him everything. He's so excited! He kept saying "Now it's real! Now it's real!" hehe I'm just glad that so far everything seems to be going well.

But wait! Then there was drama with my insurance company. So I got a prescription for prenatal vitamins which should be the simplest prescription on the earth to get filled, but of course my insurance company doesn't cover them. !?!! I looked like a dork at the local CVS trying to figure out why my prenatal vitamins for 30 days were $65! So I called my insurance company, called my doctor, and all but called President Barack Obama to get this handled! After about an hour, my insurance company gave me a special top secret private authorization number that my doctor could call to get my prenatal vitamins approved. Gimmie a break! Anyway, at the end of the day, all is well and I can pick up my prenatal vitamins tomorrow for $10. Amen! ;)

So thus begins my adventure in the land of pregnancy, pharmaceuticals, and health care. I'm sure I'll have tons of crazy wacky and amazing stories to share, and I'm looking forward to every minute of it! xoxoxoxo!

Baby Dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment